Friday, September 23, 2011

the lonely Jew

I wish I could go to Temple. I'm feeling very much like the lonely Jew of Salamanderland. I'm not an overly religious person, but I do enjoy reading my prayer book on Shabbat. And though my Hebrew is not up to par, I do try to whisper the Kaddish with my glass of wine. Doing this helps ground me, and helps me keep my life in perspective. But it also reminds me how I am the only Jew in a very large area. I've searched for others, I have not found them. There are only three Synagogues in Sweden. Non of which are within reasonable travel distance for Friday services. I hope someday to attend services in Malmö, but there is nothing planned of yet. For now it's just me and my living room, and a prayer book given to me by my father. In this book I found the prayer of the evening, which is helping me have a better perspective on my fibromyalgia:

O God, help me to remember the good I can do, even when I am weak and in pain. And help me, on this and every Shabbat, to see beyond my troubles, that I may be a blessing to others - and to myself.

I find it interesting how many people think it cliché to believe in god. How it's uncool to go to church every week, or read a prayerbook before you go to sleep. Personally I don't really care what religion you have, or who you do or do not believe in. As long as you are an honorable, good, loving person, you're ok in my book.

Love,
Mango Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment